Saturday, May 26, 2012

BGE Extortion Credit

From Wikipedia:

Extortion is a criminal offence which occurs when a person unlawfully obtains either money, property or services from a person(s), entity, or institution, through coercion. Extortion is commonly practiced by organized crime groups. The actual obtainment of money or property is not required to commit the offense. Making a threat of violence which refers to a requirement of a payment of money or property to halt future violence is sufficient to commit the offense. Exaction refers not only to extortion or the unlawful demanding and obtaining of something through force,[1] but additionally, in its formal definition, means the infliction of something such as pain and suffering or making somebody endure something unpleasant.

I got my BGE bill yesterday and when I opened it I was pleasantly surprised.  Only $26!!!  Wow.  Have I been living in the dark for the last month?  Or is that new high efficient LG washing machine really saving me that much money?




Then I saw that I had a $100 credit, which reminds me of the seemingly extortionist demands that Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley put on Constellation Energy in order to approve the merger with Exelon.

Let's see - criminal offense when person obtains money through coercion.  Check.  Method commonly practiced by organized crime.  Check.  Making a threat which refers to a requirement of payment of money to halt future violence.  Check.  Inflicting pain and suffering or making someone endure something unpleasant.  Check.

Don't most people go to jail for this type of behavior?  Imagine that outcry if a Republican Governor had crafted this deal.

Martin O'Malley is going through his book of accomplishments - run Sparrows Point out of business because it's a dirty company.  Check.  Run Constellation out of town.  Check.  Prevent Northrop Grumman from moving to Maryland.  Check.  Get cozy with Purdue, largest polluter of the Chesapeake Bay.  Check.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites