Thursday, February 23, 2012

Same Sex Marriage

If you follow Maryland politics or LBGT issues, you know that Maryland is passing a gay marriage law. Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley said that he will sign the bill when it gets to his desk.

This isn't the first time that the gay marriage has been discussed in the Maryland General Assembly. Last year a nearly identical bill stalled and died in committee. What's the difference this year? Are the delegates and state senators measuring public opinion? Is public opinion stronger this year? It's always about getting reelected, so if the politicians think that if they vote for a controversial bill, they risk not getting reelected. And let's face it - that's really all they care about.

Yesterday a coworker asked me what my opinion is. I told him I honestly didn't have an opinion. He found that hard to believe. But it's true. Is this the same as being against it? I hope not. I'm not for it. I'm not against it.

I think of it like this: do you have an opinion on the state's transferring of teachers' pensions to the counties? Do you have an opinion on the gerrymandered redistricting plan? Do you have an opinion on misuse of state transportation funds? I do. Those issues impact me. Gay marriage doesn't impact me, so whatever is decided will happen and my life will continue as it always has. I'm not saying those issues are more important. Just more relevant to me.

I told my coworker that I thought gay marriage was inevitable. Maryland becomes the 8th state (I think) to allow gay marriage. I think it's only a matter of time before it is recognized at a federal level, regardless of what nationally-elected politicians are saying at this point.

So while many people are celebrating and others are disgusted, I shrug my shoulders and think, "Okay, I knew that was coming." Next?

1 comment:

Kent Allard said...

Its one of the more harmless things Owe'Malley has done. I agree, its kind of a non issue, I don't care one way or the other. I think a lot of conservatives oppose same sex marriage "just because". Honestly, it doesn't personally effect anyone other than the couples who get married, and hey...kudos for them for wanting to be in family unit. Instead of people worrying about others' "bedroom preferences" they should be focusing on the people coming here illegally, breeding like rabbits, sucking off all the programs and hand outs they get on the taxpayer dime, while not contributing anything. You know what really bugs me? Those same people coming here for "better life" yet waving and displaying their ass backwards country's flag any chance they get. If they've got so much "pride" about where they're from then why didn't they stay the #$%! there? Oh that's right...its a 3rd world, drug infested, dirt farm! Unfortunately I have to work in Montgomery County, which is a perfect microcosm example of where this state is headed. As a conservative, same sex marriage is the least of my worries.

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites