Thursday, February 23, 2012

Book Signing With Governor Bob Ehrlich

I subscribe to Bob Ehrlich, former Republican Maryland Governor, on Facebook. He posted that he would be signing his new book Turn This Car Around at the White Marsh, excuse me, Nottingham Barnes & Noble. We used to call the area White Marsh, but apparently that's not correct anymore.

I begged and pleaded with my wife to attend this event. My daughter with leukemia is on her week 4 (week 1?) of her protocol which requires high doses of steroids. She's an absolute mess this week. Crying. Laughing. Screaming. Demanding. Disagreeing. Restless. Anxious. You name it. Fortunately I have the world's most awesome wife and she said it would be okay for me to go.

I arrived in White....Nottingham at 6:45pm. The book signing was to be at 7pm. I anticipated a fairly decent crowd at The Avenue. I turned the corner and......no one. I went into the bookstore and looked around. No one. Uh-oh. Did I get the day wrong? I went up to the lady at the register and asked if Governor Ehrlich was coming today. She said indeed. I felt a huge relief. I purchased the book and they directed me to the line.

I was shocked to see only about 20 people in line. Ah, that's right. We're in Maryland. Ugh. Stupid Maryland. Fortunately I brought the book I'm currently reading (On Hallowed Ground: The Story of Arlington National Cemetery by Robert M. Poole). I purchased this book in Arlington the day my grandfather was buried. As I'm standing there reading I'm hearing the other people in line talking. There are several ladies in line with D2 bass voices. Their voices are so deep that they make the book shelves vibrate when they talk. If it weren't for the fact that they had boobs I would have thought they were Richard Sterban. (Go to the 1:10 part of the linked clip).

Additionally, I think the lady directly in front of me is on speed. She's quickly swaying back and forth and her conversation all over the place. I'm getting sea-sick. I turn around and face away from the line. Soon after that Mike Damone steps into line behind me. He's very nice and conversational. He's older, probably late 50's. But he has some good stories. I enjoyed his conversation. He then hooked me up with some front-row Van Halen tickets and recommended that the next time I'm with my wife to play side one of Led Zeppelin IV.

The Governor finally arrives and the short line moves fast. He has his entourage with him and they look familiar. Perhaps I've seen them at other events. The only other time I saw Governor Ehrlich was at the 4th of July Kingsville Parade years ago.

Once it's my turn I get a picture with the Gov, tell him that I am friends with one of his friends, to which he replies that they are a wonderful family. I then tell him that I write this blog. One of the entourage speaks up and says, "You write that?!! I've read that blog before!" The Gov thanks me for my efforts to help him.

He then mentions that Marty O'Malley is putting word out that he wants to run for President in 2016. "Good grief!", I say. He chuckles and said that Kendal said the same thing. I then tell him that I thought he would work out an arrangement with Senator Mikulksi whereby she'd retire and he'd run for her spot. The Governor told me that would never happen because the relationship between those two is not that friendly. Great stuff!!!!

I get my book signed, snap a few more pictures and head along my way. It was great to meet the Governor up close and personal and exchange some chatter. Too bad he's not in Annapolis right now.


No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites