Monday, January 09, 2012

Visit Carroll County Historical Society - But Call First!

This is getting to be a running theme with this blog. You'd think I'd learn my lesson. Either I'm forgetful or stupid. I'll go with forgetful.

On one of the last days of my vacation between Christmas and New Year's I decided to go visit the Carroll County Historical Society. I did visit their website. Based on the days of the week and their hours of operation, I figured they would be open.

I wasn't sure what to expect. The website indicates several houses that can be toured. They were all built during the late 1700's and the early 1800's. I love these kind of buildings. If I was rich I'd totally buy one and pretend to live there now and then. But then again, I'm not a lawyer.

I arrived and go in one of the buildings. A nice older lady greets me and says that the administrative office is open, but the other buildings are closed and the historical library is closed. I really would like to visit the historical library. I imagine there to be lots of pictures and books of all historical things in Carroll County. Boo...

She tells me the Shops At Cockey's is open. Doesn't sound like my thing. What? Oh, it's not that? So I go to the Shops At Cockey's. It's one of those places where local artisans sell their wares. There's plenty of ready-to-make recipes, jewelry, paintings, and other hand-made items. There are books in the rear of the store. And there is a quasi-museum on the left side.

A lady comes out to greet me. Obviously I'm the first customer of the day. Perhaps the first customer of the month. I tell her I'm there to take in the historic elements of the home and settle my curiosity. I then ask her if it's okay to take pictures. Oh-boy! She turns into a nervous Nelly. "Why do you want to take pictures? Are you with the press? You're not trying to get me in trouble are you?"

I'm taken back by the string of questions. I tell her that some historical places do not allow you to take pictures, while others allow you to take pictures of you turn off the flash. She seems somewhat satisfied. She then begs the question again, "Why do you want to take pictures?" "Because I like taking pictures???" She finally unconvincingly concedes and tells me it is fine, though her voice quivers. I was starting to think there were some top secret items there. Perhaps even some stolen goods. Why the hysteria and paranoia??? Are you with the Confederates???

So here are the top-secret pictures I got as an undercover media person trying to get an older lady in trouble. The theme of the quasi-museum changes and currently it is toys.

This item is an old grocery store. It is in a metal container with cardboard items replicating real-life items of the era.


This kid-powered dump truck was pretty interesting. I had a fire truck of similar style, though certainly not as old.


This doll carriage is from the 1870's. Very ornate. Imagine buying this in a store today. It would cost several hundred dollars - if not more! Wal-Mart wouldn't even carry it because there aren't enough distorted plastic materials made by underpaid communist Chinese slave laborers.


This building is the historic Westminster Sherman-Fisher-Shellman House constructed in 1807. It was closed for the week.


This is the Carroll County Historical Society's building. It is also known as the Kimmey House, which was constructed in 1800. John Adams was President then. For those of you not good at math, that was a long time ago.


The house on the right with the green shutters is the Cockey's Tavern. To my surprise, it's not a gay brothel.


This building is a law firm I believe. It's a really interesting building. If you open the picture check out the ornate details.


This here is an old brick house on Main Street. I think it's also occupied by one of them thar' lawyer types.


This is also a law firm. Thank goodness for law firms and their desire to maintain historic houses.



You're never going to guess this, but this house is occupied by a law firm. At first I was taken back by the mint green color, sort of reminded me of some ice cream I wanted to get at Hoffman's, but if you click on the picture and note the contrasting green and dark grays and blacks and whites, I'm sure you'll come to appreciate it like I do.


So the next time you plan to to to Westminster to tour the Carroll County Historical Society's buildings, call first. Ugh....

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites