Saturday, December 31, 2011

Leaving Eldersburg - Blockbuster

I know what you're going to say - Blockbuster is still open? Seriously! I don't think I've been to a Blockbuster since I went there to rent Three Men and a Baby....I mean Under Seige 2, yeah that one.

Like everything else in the physically deteriorating Carrolltown Center, hardly anyone shops at Blockbuster. You can see the sun-faded movies sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Now and then I'd see a car or two in the parking lot, but then realized that those were the cars of the staff working there.

Blockbuster ran amock of the changing dynamics of the entertainment industry. Gone are the days of dozens of people with their head cocked to the right looking at the sideways titles of the VHS tapes. Here are the days of $1 rentals at kiosks and instant entertainment with OnDemand and Netflix. Heck, you can even find a lot of new movies at the library - for FREE!!! Why would you pay several dollars to rent a movie at Blockbuster? It's like voting for Martin O'Malley - it just doesn't make any sense!

The closing of Blockbuster is one of two imminent closings in the next two months at Carrolltown Center. Also closing in Peebles, the moderately priced clothing store. If my calculations are correct, the closing of Blockbuster and Peebles will leave 105% of the mall unoccupied. That's pretty bad!

So, farewell Blockbuster. Welcome more empty retail space at Carrolltown Center!!!!

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites