Sunday, November 30, 2008

Go Home Early!

Every year it's the same thing.

Wednesday at work started off the long weekend on a grumpy note. Every year I somehow seem to get the ha-ha beat-down. Normally the day before a holiday they let us go a couple of hours early. That's a great idea.

Here comes the beat-down part - my manager, no matter who it is, always takes off that day before the holiday, as does his manager. The message comes from above to let everyone go early. However, there's no one that represents me to get the message. Then, upon hearing us bitching and complaining another manager from another department will come around at 3:15 and tell us we can all go home early and that we should have left already. Yeah! I get to leave 45 minutes early!

So that's great. I should have left early. But here's the part that really gets me - I come to work at 7am. I leave at 4pm. We are supposed to work 8 hours with an hour lunch. Meanwhile, the majority of the clowns around me come in at 8, 8:30, 9am. So when they let us go at 3:15, I get to leave 45 minutes early while the other clowns get to leave 2-3 hours early. Argghh!!!

Now, I realize there is plenty I could do about this. I could just leave at 2pm and hope they let us go early. I could tie my coworkers to their desk and not feel bad when I leave early and they can't because they're tied to said desk. This is actually my favorite option.

I could send out a fake email that says, "Our boss, Mr. Johnson, told me to tell everyone that we could leave 2 hours from the time you SHOULD be leaving today." The problem with that is Mr. Johnson would probably end up getting wind of the email. Not that Mr. Johnson would care too much. He's a pretty cool guy, but he has his bipolar moments and that could come back to haunt me.

My wife, the smart one, says that if I was as smart as her, I'd go in late like my fellow clowns and then leave at 2pm and hope for that early dismissal. I've only been working for company for nearly 12 years, so I'll probably figure it out eventually.

2 comments:

mdduckman said...

So I'm a clown, eh?

FreeMarket said...

My company has the same problem. Worse for me is that I work a lot of extra hours and weekends without getting paid extra and I even lose vacation time due to not using it. This year, however, I am just glad to be gainfully employed.

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites