Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Proceed to Checkout....

Few things make a parent more proud than watching their children grow up and learn new things. However, I'm now at a point where I question my daughter's new-found love.

For my daughter's 9th birthday she received several gift cards to Limited, Too, the preteen clothing store that sells overpriced trendy clothes that they will wear for 3 months before it is so out of style.

She found the website on the gift card and decided to take a look. Then while on the website she discovered that if she liked something, she could add it to her shopping cart. She kept asking my wife if she could add this and that. My wife had to remind her that she had a limit that she could spend.

Now, I fear that she will use shopping cart to add her favorite clothing. I see her on the website all the time, days after she cashed in her gift cards. If I checked her shopping cart right now I'm sure I'd find hundreds of dollars worth of stuff that she just has to have. When did a 9 year old become a 16 year old?

2 comments:

CAG Incognito said...

Eludius of course you wouldn’t understand! Because you are so ancient and filled with testosterone you can never really grasp the pressures women fall under from a very early age; even younger than Miss Diva in training O-Liv! So you just thank your lucky stars that she’s just being inquisitive and investigatory on fashion websites and not taking you into stores and throwing a fit like I used to do. (It’s much less embarrassing this way) In fact I think you should surprise her and by her EVERYTHING in the ‘cart’ because she’s been such the ideal well behaved child because girls are normally not that easy to please. Unfortunately for you this marks the beginning of the end. Before you now it, she will be trading her soccers cleats for some 5 inch red pumps. :-)

Bujio said...

Hey Mate. These things are happening earlier and earlier these days. I've only been in the Limited/Too stores a handful of times to buy Neopets plushies. It felt weird, being a guy in a little girls' clothing shop. But hey. If you want Neopets, you gotta go there.

Anyway, I think you have every right to set limits to what your child does. My parents would never have let me surf the internet at the age of 9, even if we had had a computer back then.

Personally, you know what's best for your child. Cheers!!

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites