Thursday, September 19, 2013

Matapeake Fishing Report

After an initial disappointing experience at Matapeake State Park a couple of years ago, it has quickly become my son's go-to fishing destination.  Now fishing on Kent Island is about as good as it gets for us.

To me, it feels like we're either in another state or somewhere so remote from where we live.  Being next to the water provides this amazing calming effect. I could go there and just sit and watch people, birds, and boats all day.

We brought my son's friend with us, as we seem to do most times.  We hit the road at about 5:45am.  After a quick stop at Angler's off of Route 50 in Annapolis, we pulled into Matapeake just after 7am.  This is, of course, after paying my $6 fee for crossing the 4.3 mile bridge.  I love that first look at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge when we get there.  It's like we're separated from the madness of everything that we don't like.  I took this with my iPhone, so it's a bit grainy, but I think you can appreciate why I like this view.  This is south of the bridge looking north.


The fishing was good.  It wasn't as good as the last time we were there.  But we certainly caught a bunch of blues.  I think we caught maybe 14.  Blues give you a nice fight.  We caught a few decent spot fish, and my son's friend caught 2 flounder.  I also added a 14 inch striped bass to my list.

I'm always jealous of the people with boats.  We just sit and watch them from the shore.  Check out this meatball's camouflage boat.


There aren't too many large ships traversing the upper Chesapeake anymore.  So when one passes, it's kind of exciting.  This is the Chesapeake Highway, and I'm pretty sure it's delivering new cars to the Port of Baltimore.  That is one of the few things that the Port of Baltimore still does.


Here's my neighbor's flounder.  It certainly isn't big enough to keep, but check out those teeth!  The Hispanic guys next to us were dumbfounded when we tossed it back, along with the 14" undersized striped bass that I threw back.  They kept EVERYTHING!!!  Small flounders, small stripers, small blues.  If the DNR police would have shown up, they would have had a field day.


You never know what you'll see when you're on the water.  We got to see this flying boat.  This is a creative dude.  He mounted a glider and a motor to a raft.


I think in total, we caught about 30 fish over the 9 hours that we were there.  Of course we were tired when we left, which means both of the boys fell asleep while I drove.  Why can't I ever be the one that gets to fall asleep???

All in all, another successful day fishing.

1 comment:

SILVERKING LODGE said...

Going on a fishing vacation with your family is a great way to bond with the members of your family.

Ketchikan Alaska Vacation

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites