Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Def Leppard Rises Again

If you didn't watch Ellen or Dancing With the Stars yesterday, you missed a real treat. Def Leppard was on both shows.

Normally I couldn't give a crap what was on those shows. So, yes, I was the dork at the gym watching Ellen while riding the upright bike.

My wife emailed me in the morning to let me know that they would be on Ellen at 3pm. Soon thereafter, I got an email from one of the guys that works at the gym here at work asking a bunch of us if we'd be interested in taking the afternoon bootcamp class, which was going to be outside. A funny email conversation took place:

From: Kyle
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:14 AM
To: All the Cool People At the Gym
Subject: Cardio Bootcamp
Hey everybody I have room left in class if you are interested. It starts at 12:15 and if the weather holds up we will probably go outside. Let me know!
Kyle

From: Eludius
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:23 AM
To: Kyle & all the Cool People at the Gym

Subject: RE: Cardio Bootcamp
Kyle - weather.com says it feels like it's 45 degrees outside. Though I appreciate the offer, I also noticed that Def Leppard will be on Ellen at 3 o'clock. So between being cold and having stomach cramps or chillin' on the cardio machine and watching the best 80's hair band of all time, I think you know where I'll be.


From: Brad
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:23 AM

To: Kyle & all the Cool People at the Gym
Subject: RE: Cardio Bootcamp

Def Leppard is proof that you don't have to have 2 arms to have big hair.

Funny stuff!

Anyway, the performance on Ellen was admirable. They sang Hysteria off of the album of the same name. Definitely not lip-synched or piped in. They showed their age and the song was a little raspy, but still entertaining.

I only saw about 35 minutes of Dancing With the Stars, but I did see them perform Pour Some Sugar On Me. It sounded great, but unfortunately the music and lyrics were directly off of the Hysteria album. Totally lip-synched. I guess more was at stake on prime time television.

The second song was off of their new album Songs from the Sparkle Lounge. Not a bad song. I might even buy this one. This one sounded live. More raspy (again). Def Leppard frontman Joe Elliott was still rockin', though.

And for my vegan friends, you'll be happy to know that he's a vegatarian. I can hear him singing now, "Pour some soy cheese on me!"

It was nice, however, to follow up with some Def Leppard after hearing the idiots from American Idol totally destroy Neil Diamond's songs, who, by the way, is also touring this year!

1 comment:

Charm City Kim said...

Wow - now I'll have to start listening to more Def Leppard.

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites