Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hawaii Vacation Part 17

Yes, we seem to be missing a bunch of posts in between day 1 and Day 5.  It happens.  You see, my wife doesn't think I should be posting our family vacations on my blog.  Okay.  I have to live with that.  So I'll post some non-relevant pictures.

We flew home from Hawaii on a red-eye.  We took off from Honolulu around 4pm on our last day.  Soon after take-off it was dark.  They served us dinner soon thereafter and the next thing you know everyone was asleep.  Except the two women in front of us from New Jersey with their two kids.  I've never seen Jersey Shore, but if it's the hell that I imagine it to be, they were the stars.

I found myself involved in a conversation with some vagabond teen-aged traveler whose goal it was to travel all 50 states in a year, a feat he just accomplished.  He was definitely an interested kid.  He said he used some website called emptycouch or something like that to find places to stay for free.  He had a lot of interesting stories.  I wish I had not been ready to fall asleep, otherwise I would have loved to hear more.

I tried to sleep on the way home, but it's not too easy to catch 8 hours of sleep on a plane.  We arrived at JFK airport around 7:30 am.  We knew we didn't have much time between flights.  I had asked the flight attendants for their advice about catching a connection with short (almost non-existant) layovers at JFK Airport, which, if you've never been there, has multiple terminals, which means you have to go through security again.  None really had any good advice.

Needless to say, we didn't catch our connecting flight from JFK to BWI, nor did another couple also on our plane from Honolulu.  Who would schedule a connection with less than 45 minutes?  Especially at JFK Airport, which is as big as Rhode Island?

Fortunately, we were able to get new tickets to BWI without hassle, unlike the other couple who had to bicker with the ticket agents for a while.  Perhaps it pays to have kids in these situations?  Once we had our tickets in hand, we found a row of seats on Terminal 2-3 and camped out for the next 7 1/2 hours.  Totally jet-lagged, my family had no problem sleeping in an airport.  My wife and I took turns sleeping.  During my watch I entertained myself with Words With Friends and people-watching.  Let me tell you, there are some weird people in an airport.

And the entire purpose of this blogpost is to show you this picture.  While waiting I found this kiosk where you can recharge your laptops, iPads, iPhones, etc...  It's an iPad docking station with all sorts of ports.  I sat there a while and surfing the Internet while recharging my phone.  Pretty cool, eh?

We finally caught our flight to BWI around 4pm-ish.  We landed at BWI close to 5pm, caught our limousine, courtesy of Bay Area Limo, rode home in the rain, got home at dark, then crashed.  It took about 4 more days to get over the jet leg.  So tired.  Obviously my method of trying to overcome the jet lag didn't work.  Better luck next time.  The End.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a well written article about Hawaii Vacation Rentals, you can enjoy truly memorable tropical vacation in Hawaii.

Who links to my website?
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites