Sunday, January 19, 2014

Night With Steve Wozniak

I think I'm becoming addicted to meeting famous people.  And by famous, I'm including quasi-famous, including local politicians.  But I'm ALSO including Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

As part of Stevenson University's Speaker Series, Steve Wozniak spoke at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall last week and I was fortunate enough to get invited by the Mayor of Eldersburg.

We were in the 15th row, which is fairly close.  Mr. Wozniak is about what I expected: short, overweight, and a little bit out of sorts.  He spoke quickly and from notes.  His speech was definitely rehearsed, just as I figured the Colin Powell and Robert Gates speeches were.  Did I ever mention that I met former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates?  I think I never blogged about that.  I met him.  He was short.  He had great stories.

Wozniak started his speech from childhood and moved through high school, then college, to Apple, then post-Apple.  The speech consisted of a lot of 'I did this' and 'I did that'.  But, he did do that and he did do that.  It was like an hour and a half autobiography.  But it was entertaining.  At the end, the moderator asked him questions that had been submitted by the audience.


Had he ever read Steve Jobs' book?  No, why would he read it when he lived it?

Did he see the Steve Jobs movie?  Yes, and it wasn't very accurate, which didn't bother him too much, but it wasn't very entertaining, which bothered him more.

Did he own an Android?  He bought every phone that came on the market because he wanted to see what they were capable of doing.

What did he think the next big thing would be?  He said that Google glasses would fail.  They're too distracting and will get in the way.  Interactive and 4K television are definitely going to be successful.  They would be easy to use and the cost will come down to reasonable levels in time.

After the speech, I got to attend the after party where I got my picture taken with him.  Stevenson University will mail it to me in due time.  After the crowd died down, I went back and got him to autograph the program.

I can't wait until the next speech.

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites