Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Busch Gardens - Can't Touch This

As you saw from my last post we were in Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia last week.  Having a child with cancer, you instantly become a germaphobe.  You just can't risk having your child catch some bug resting on a faucet or a door knob because some dumbo wipes his donkey and doesn't wash his hands when he's done.  As my oldest daughter says all the time, "What's your problem??!"

In Busch Gardens, the sinks are all touch-less.  You put your hands under them and the water just pours out.  


That is not the case with the soap dispenser.  You have to use your hands to dispense the soap.  You're touching other people's germs in order to wash your hands.  Sure, you can use the back of your wrist.


And when you're done washing your hands, you get to grab a paper towel from the.......manually dispensed paper towel dispenser.  More transfer of germs.  Why would you have a touch-less sink, but force everyone to use their hands for the soap and paper towels?  I know they exist.  We have them at American Amalgamated Corrugated Conglomerates of America.  And it's difficult to do this with your elbow.  Trust me, I've tried.



Needless to say, this is the worst gripe I have with Busch Gardens.  Everything was fabulous, and I don't use the word fabulous very often unless I'm talking about the new RuPaul special on Bravo or the new line of Bottega Veneta men's messenger bags.

What are you pet peeves with cleanliness?

3 comments:

Kent Allard said...

Ha! Yep, know where you're coming from. I'm a plumber so I see this kind of nonsense all the time. A local government agency had my install 24 touchless faucets in their public facilities. Their reasoning...they were "going green". Seems that people were leaving the old faucets on and walking away, with the water still running because they didn't want to have to touch the germ-ridden faucet handles after washing their hands. That lead to water waste. So, this agency decided in their ongoing "going green" efforts they'd install 24 touchless BATTERY OPERATED faucets. Each faucet uses 4 C batteries to operate. You can do the math on how many batteries that is on 24 faucets. Of course those batteries have to be changed several times a year. Guess what their staff does with the old batteries? Toss them in the trash. Batteries...out in the landfills. BUT, each of those bathrooms have neat little plaques up over the sinks touting how much water is saved by "self closing" faucets. Patrons still have to touch the soap and towel dispensers as you pointed out. BUT, its all "GREEN" so they're cool with it. Germs are "green" too aren't they? Heheh.

Chris said...

I also love it when those faucets start going on all the time. It's funny they replaced all the touchless in my building with old school ones because they couldn't keep fixing them. I do agree that the paper towels could go touchless but the soap? as long as you wash your hands after you get the soap you are ok with that.

How about a foot pedal for everything instead! Press the foot pedal for water, foot pedal for soap, foot pedal for the towels and a foot pedal for the door!

Eludius said...

They also replaced the soap dispensers at work with battery operated ones. One day - all the batteries were dead. I couldn't wash my hands. Fantastic. I love technology!

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites