Sunday, January 30, 2011

Visit to the Derrick Mason Show

Right before the end of the season I decided to take my son to The Greene Turtle in Owings Mills. The last game was coming up and I didn't know if they'd have the show during the playoffs. And Derrick Mason threatens to retire every year and you don't know if my actually be serious this time.


We arrived right around 5:30. The show starts at 6pm and runs until 8pm. The place was already packed, but we were able to get a booth near the back, but I could clearly see the radio platform. Derrick Mason and Stan White show up right around 6pm.

Here's Derrick Mason interacting with whom I would assume to be the producer.


The show is pumped over the speakers in the restaurant, but it is very unceremonious. It was right after Christmas as they were talking about their holidays as if anyone cared. Autographs. We want autographs!

During the first commercial break I literally throw my son up to the booth to get a photo of Mason signed. Mason signs it. He doesn't say anything to my son. Doesn't look at him. Doesn't acknowledge him in any way. Just signs it and hands it back to him.


Le'Ron McClain shows up around 7-ish as the "special guest". He's special alright. He sits and texts nearly the entire time. Doesn't look at the crowd. Doesn't talk to anyone except Stan White and Derrick Mason. Text. Text. Text. He acted like a 300 pound male version of my daughter, though with slightly darker hair.

Le'Ron? Le'Ron? Are you there???? OMG. Where R U? LOL. TTYL.


During the commercials - guess what they did? They sat there. Didn't talk to each other. Didn't talk to the crowd. I have to say - I'm very disappointed in this show. Derrick Mason is supposed to be cool. This ain't cool.

Commercial break. Text. Stare. Stare. Isn't this entertaining?


I send my son back up for another autograph for my nephew. He's hesitant to go. But he goes because I'm the dad. When he gets up there the autograph police tell him to go stand in a kid line that wraps around the fire exit behind the stage. He moves over to that line and stands there for almost an entire minute, then comes around with this disgruntled look on his face. "I'm not standing in that line. I'm ready to go home."

So my son's first experience with the Ravens up close is a big bust. He's not impressed with them. He's not impressed with the lines. He's not impressed with the autograph police. I'm not impressed with their lack of enthusiasm. Was it just a bad night? I don't know. I've never been to an event like this before, so I have no baseline. I hope Mason was just in a foul mood because he just heard that annoying Crystal Koons commercial on the radio. So we'll give him the benefit of the doubt and we'll try another event when it comes up.

1 comment:

MicheleOneL said...

Very bummed to read this! All of the players I've met have been fantastic. BUT...I've not been to a radio show broadcast. I always enjoy Mason's shows when I listen to the radio...but I'm not seeing it in person. Sad story.

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites